Japanese clam soup(1 serving)
Japanese clam soup is often eaten in March 3rd. March 3rd is the Japanese Doll Festival, Hina Matsuri.Why do they eat a clam? Bivalves such as clams would not match any shell other than their counterpart, the shells did not change their partner, they became a symbol of conjugal harmony.Therefore, for a girl, it is said that it is lucky.
- 100g clam
- 2 green asparagus stalks
- 5g kobu seaweed
- 1 1/2 tbsp(22.5ml) sake
- 1/2 tsp(2.5ml) salt
- Soak the clam in saltwater like seawater and put it to the dark place for 2 hours.
- Wipe the surface of the kobu seaweed with a well wrung-out damp towel.(Washing it would remove most of the savoy umami.)
- Put the measured-out water into a pot with the kobu seaweed and let it sit for 30 minutes ubtil the kobu seaweed becomes soft.
- Add the clam, and heat at a low temperature until it starts to simmer, then take out the kobu seaweed.
- Carefully remove the scum and when clams open their shells,take out the clam.
- Add sake and salt to taste.
- Cut off bottom 0.4 to 0.8 inch of the asparagus to remove the hard part.Wrap it in a lap and warm it with a microwave oven for 1 minute.Cut into 1.5 inch lengths.
- Serve it in order of a clam, asparagus and pour soup last.