Soup recipes -Japanese food-
Zoni soup Japanese food(1 serving)
A Japanese soup called ‘zouni’ which is made from rice-cake, vegetables or other food and eaten on New Year’s Day.Zoni is a soup dish which contains mochi (rice cakes) and other ingredients, and it is usually eaten in the New Year.Mochi and cooked rice were placed on the altars of deities as offerings in the evening of New Year’s Eve, and they were taken down before dawn the next day and simmered with other ingredients to prepare a soup, which is believed to have been the origin of zoni.
- 3 pieces mochi(rectangular dried mochi
- 4 Japanese radish slices(0.3 inch thick)
- 3 carrot slices(0.3 inch thick)
- 1 spinach
- 2 surimi
- 1 cup(400ml) dried bonito soup stock
- 1/4 tsp(1.25ml) salt
- 1 tsp(5ml) sweet sake
- 1 tsp(5ml) soy sauce
- Cut 3 carrot and 3 Japanese radish decoratively,like the flower of the plum
- Cut 1 Japanese radish decoratively,like a chrysanthemum.
- Simmer the carrot and Japanese radish in 1 cup of soup stock(200ml) until tender(about 15 minutes).
- Boil spinach until color changes and remove.Cut into lengths of 1 inch and divide into 2 equal parts.Squeeze well.
- Heat the pan and cook the mochi until browned.Turn the heat down to low and cover Steam cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Bring 1 cup(200ml) of soup stock to a boil.Season with salt,sweet sake,and add soy sauce.
- Lay the Japanese radish chrysanthemums in a bowl and place the mochi on top.Serve garnished with plum-shaped vegetables and surimi.Pour on the hot borth from step6