Squid Rice(1 serving)
I cook Squid Rice.It is a dish made by boiling squid stuffed with rice.It originated in a small fishing village Hokkaido, in World War 2. Under the wartime food shortage, an Eki-ben(Station lunch box) seller came up with an idea of new dish using small amount of rice and surplus squid. After 70 years, it became one of the most famous Eki-ben(Station lunch box).
refer to http://lang-8.com/452998/journals/1607853
- 1 squid
- 130g rice (how to cook rice click here)
- 1 piece ginger
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) mirin(sweet sake)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sake
- Combine the sugar, soy sauce, mirin(sweet sake), sake into a pot and bring to a boil on low heat till sugar melting.
- Mix the sauce(1/5 of the sauce which you cook by step1) and rice well.
- Put your finger inside the torso of the body, and remove the tentacles attached to the torso.Holding down the torso, pull out the tentacles whole.
- Being careful not to cut the thin-skinned ink sacks that look like black string, cut off the tentacles from below the eye.
- Rinse with running water while putting your finger into the torso and remove the cuttlebone.Wash the tentacles.
- Fill 80% of body of the cuttlefish with rice(Step2).It is easy if you use wet spoon.Fasten the opening with a toothpick.
- Put the squid, ginger, sauce(4/5 of the sauce which you cook by step1) in a pot and put in a drop lid.Simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Occasionally flipping over the squid, simmer till most of the liquid has been cooked out.
- Let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut it and serve it.