Mock broiled eel
This is macrobiotic food.I cooked the broiled eel by tofu.It was originally made as an imitated food for meat for a vegetarian dish (mock dish). Mock broiled eelis said that a priest wanting to eat an eel devises it and cooked it.This is very healthy.
- 350g film tofu
- 100g Chinese yam
- 100g lotus roots
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- Salt, to your taste
- 12 (4 x 1.3 in) toasted and seasoned laver
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) mirin(sweet sake)
- 2 tbsp (30ml) sake
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salad oil,parsley
- Firmly wrap the tofu with a paper towel.Warm up it in the microwave for 3 minutes and drain in a strainer.
- Strain the tofu by spoon.
- Grate the lotus roots and Chinese yam.Add the potato starch and salt.Mix them.
- Paint with tofu(step3) on toasted and seasoned laver.Heat the flying oil to 170 degrees and fly them.Form be careful not to collapse then.Model it on an eel.
- When sides is golden brown,turn over, and cook the other side until golden brown.Place it on a rack, without stacking, and let the excess oil drain.
- Combine the sake,soy sauce,mirin(sweet sake),sugar into a flying pan and bring to a boil.Put it with the toasted and seasoned laver side down and sauce it well.
- Place the Mock broiled eel on bowl of rice and sprinkle the parsley.