Tori-tem -Chicken Tempura-
Tori-tem is local cooking in Oita, Japan.It is a typical Japanese home cooked dish.I do not know the difference between Tori-tem and fried chicken.I like Tori-tem only a little than fried chicken.Tori-tem go with Japanese sake.Let’s try to cook Tori-tem!
- 200 g chicken brast
- 1/4 piece ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp(30 ml) sake
- 2 tsp(10 ml) sesame oil
- Pepper, to your taste
- 1 cup (180 ml) 1 beaten egg mixed with cold water
- 1 cup (200 ml) flour
- 1 tsp(5 ml) sake
- 2 tsp(10 ml) vinegar
- Frying oil, as needed
- Poke holes into the surface of the chicken with fork.Cut the chicken into bite-size.
- Mix grated ginger, salt, sugar, sake, sesame oil, pepper and marinate the chicken.Blend the flavors into the chicken by rubbing.Leave for 20 minutes.
- For standard tempura batter, use equal parts egg-water and flour, sake, vinegar.Put the egg-water, sake, vinegar into a bowl and mix well, then add the flour and stir.It’s OK if some flour remains on the surface.
- Heat the flying oil to between 170 and 180 degrees.Remove the excess moisture from the chicken and Batter the chicken.Let the excess batter drip out, then fry.
- When the popping sound decreases and it looks crispy, remove from the oil.
- Place it on a rack, without stacking, and let the excess oil drain.Serve on a serving dish.