I cooked ‘Thunder Tofu’.It is traditional Japanese food.The origin of the name is because a sound such as the thunder comes out when it is cooked.There was not a custom to eat meat in old days in Japan.Therefore the tofu was a precious protein source for people.Tofu is still eaten frequently in Japan.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 tsp (5ml) grated garlic
- 1 red pepper(Taka no Tsume)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) salad oil
- 1 tbsp(15ml) soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp(22.5ml) mirin(sweet sake)
- 5g dried bonito shavings
- Cut the tofu into 0.8 inch cubes and set a strainer to drain for 5 minutes.
- Grate the garlic.Remove a seed and cut it.Heat the salad oil,sear the red pepper and grated garlic.
- Add the tofu,sear,add the soy sauce,mirin(sweet sake).The oil has been absorbed.
- Serve garnished with the dried bonito shavings.